Friday, September 2, 2011

Mon deuxieme jour a Paris! (My second day in Paris)

I know I haven't written a blog post in a few too many days, and some of you, most notably my brother Tom, who apparently has a link to my blog on his phone somehow, are getting a little antsy to know how I am doing in this, the greatest experience of my life. I do apologize for not being more forthcoming with my adventures, but my internet connection at my apartment is still rather unreliable, and stopped working altogther on Wednesday night at about 10:30 local time, right before I was setting up to write another post. And then, I wrote this all out again last night, at an internet Cafe, and for some reason, it didn't send it, and I couldn't save it, since I was on a public computer. C'est la vie, je pense. I finally wrote my landlord an e-mail about the internet situation, the TV situation, and the phone situation, since he set it all up on Monday and it has not finished setting itself up yet, and he came out today (Friday) and dropped off the internet key I was using at the beginning. That, plus whatever traces of internet are in the apartment because of the other thing he set up, have left me with an internet that does all right. Anyways, I should tell you all that I am doing well and am thoroughly enjoying my first week in Paris. I think I have figured out the Metro system, and am actually starting to enjoy my morning commute to school. The last you heard from me, I was frustrated by a metro misadventure, so why don't I pick it up there, where I left off.

Sunday afternoon, after getting home from the Metro at 1:30 and taking a "heavy duty" melatonin that knocked me out for 11 hours straight, I did end up getting up and going to the American Embassy, but it's closed on Sundays, so I instead decided to stalk the Eiffel tower for about 3 hours. I got the obligatory shot of myself in front of it, and took the stairs to the 2nd level. Taking the stairs is pretty cheap. Only 3.70 Euros...taking l'ascenseur (elevator )to the top is something like 15. Ridiculous.

Before getting to the Eiffel tower, I stopped and got a ham, cheese, and tomato crepe that was pretty delicious. I was going to go to the Monoprix before my outing, but I wasn't that hungry at the moment and I was getting a little stir crazy again and decided it was time to try the metro again. This time, I did it without incident. Well, I can't say that, exactly. There was a minor incident, but I figured it out and fixed it quickly. I was on the right line, but going the opposite direction that I should have been going in. No big deal. I didn't even have to change lines to get to where I wanted to go, which I thought I had to do, originally. Tres simple!

I also stopped and got a ice cream cone (I felt I deserved it after my ordeal last night) from a very nice and charming young Frenchman who had converted his car into a portable ice cream stand (I took a picture). We chatted for a bit, in English and in French, and he served me a very good, home made chocolate and strawberry ice cream cone. It was sort of like gelato, and I loved it.
I guess I should spend a moment talking about the atmosphere surrounding the Eiffel Tower. I would say that the Tower is like a madhouse among madhouses, since that whole area of Paris is just nuts because there are so many tourist attractions in such a concentrated area. I thought my little neighborhood of Paris was busy, but this area of Paris was simply insanity. There are people everywhere taking photos, the lines to get up to the stages of the tower are stupidly long (except the one that's for stairs only...imagine that), and there are also little food stands and souvenir stands everywhere, in addition to all of the dudes who look middle easterners who are selling Eiffel Tower replicas. It's almost like a carnival atmosphere, and it's definitely an energy you can feel. There's even a little carousel across the street, and there were two street performers that had a crowd of people around them when I got there. One was break dancing, and was actually pretty good, but the other one was just doing some pretty basic pop-and-lock stuff that I learned how to do like 10 years ago. Yawn. I tipped the break dancer like one euro (or maybe less) and snapped a few photos, and was on my way.

I also sort of got hustled by a gypsy lady before getting on the stairs, but I only have her a few Euro, so I'm not too worried about it. She had a clipboard that I thought was like a sign up sheet for people who wanted to help orphaned Parisian youths, and I was going to sign up, but than I realized she wanted money. I had a lot of stuff in my hands (Camera, water, map) and she acted like she would hold the camera for me. Instead I gave her the map and in incredulous look. DJ 1, Gypsy 0. So she pointed to something at the end of the form (she never talked, which I guess sort of spooked me into giving her money, in a way) that said something about money. I sort of realized I was getting hustled, so I said all I had was change, and she shrugged and accepted it. DJ 1, Gypsy 1. Uh-oh. Then, she pointed to something on the other side that said something like "7 euro minimum donation," and I gave her another incredulous look and said that was all I had, even though I had probably 10 Euro in my wallet. She gave me a pleading look, I gave her a flat American stare, and she turned and walked away. DJ 2, Gypsy 1? Either way, now I know how they try to get you, so I won't let it happen again. Which, by the way, since then, I have had girls come up to me and try to pull the same scam on me twice. I just say "Absolument pas." and keep walking. Anyway.

So I walked the 650 or so stairs (not exaggerating in the slightest) to the second level and I walked around a bit taking pictures, and then I walked back to where I had gotten off the metro, some 3 or so miles away, and took some more obligatory photos...of me in front of one of my favorite fountains in Paris that I remember from my first trip here, and one of the many obelisks that are around Paris. I have to say that even though a lot of my walking was probably because I wasn't yet familiar with where I was going and everything, you still walk a whole lot in Paris...enough to stay fit without doing any sort of additional exercise, that's for sure. On Monday, after walking so much my first two days in town, my legs, knees, and feet were killing me, and by Wednesday evening I had worn a HUGE blister into the back of my right heel...but, I did this to my heel while walking around probably the most beautful city in the world, so I guess I shouldn't complain, huh. ;)

So after the Effel Tower, I walked back to my metro station, which seemed forever away from the Eiffel Tower, and came back to my apartment. Then, I went to Monoprix, but it was closed...I guess they close early on Sundays because it wasn't even 9 and they are usually open until almost 10. But I made due, using some olive oil left over from the last tennants as butter in my pan, and made some Turkey Croque Monsiers for dinner tonight. My first semi-cooked on my own meal in France! I took a picture. I also took a picture of breakfast because they sell these little mini strawberries here that are just adorable, but unfortunately, way too expensive. I have wizened up in subsequent Monoprix visits, but more on that later. They also sell chips that look like little Pac-man ghosts, kind of, called "Monster Munch." And they come in ketchup flavor (I LOVE ketchup chips), but I have yet to find anything but ham and cheese, plain, and BBQ flavors. Oh well. I also bought these delicious cookies that are like two big circular buttery wafers with chocolate in the middle called Prince. Yum! I don't know why I feel like updating everyone about the food and what I'm buying from the grocery store, but I do. I have been enjoying noticing the dfferences between things here versus things in America. :)

Someone needs to update me about what's going on in the U.S! I heard we swept the Brewers this week, and I definitely need details about that (who did what, etc) from someone dear to me. Do we still have a chance at the playoffs? How many games are left? How many games behind the Brewers are we? I also heard the Rams are kicking ass? Someone tell me what's been going on! Am I to assume I am St. Louis sports team's bad luck charm? Also, I'd love to know just general news about the U.S, or St. Louis.  Politics? Big, interesting crimes? What about that hurricane that was supposed to knock the Eastern Seaboard out of commission? What new movies are out that I should look out for? What's the top-grossing film in the U.S. right now? I know I could just check this out online, but I'd rather hear about it from someone I hold dear. Also, if anyone ever wants to e-mail me, feel free to do so at either kingofvibe@gmail.com, or davidjohnhyde81@gmail.com. I check them both as frequently as I can. Also, if I know anyone who still does AOL Instant Messenger or Yahoo Instant Messenger, please let me know, so I can know to keep those turned on more frequently.

I know this one is super long, but I have at least two more to right, right now, if the internet keeps being cooperative. I feel like I owe you all lots of blog posts, since it's been so long since I've written one. I expect to have probably 2 more finished and posted tonight before going to bed, since I'm not going out tonight, but saving myself for tomorrow. More on that in a later post, though. I hope you all have been enjoying reading this blog, and I hope you have time to read 3 mini-novellas tonight, because that's what you're going to be getting. Gorsses bises a tous! (Love and kisses to everyone!)

No comments:

Post a Comment